Tuesday 25 January 2011

Fixit

This post covers two days as it was a whole weekend thing.
Fixit is the name of a number of different centres around Si Saket where electronic and mechanic students go and help people in the villages fix their appliances and motorbikes as they cannot get into the main town area to fix them. As well at that, there is also a section where people give the older people a health check as they cannot make it to the hospital. It is such a nice thing.
On the Saturday, Clem, Yok Soyai and myself went to help make the lunch. We spent all morning chopping up different vegetables and just before lunch I made a huge batch of Som Tam. It was quite funny as I couldn't remember what to put in it so was asking P-Chittey but she was busy so some SISAT students came up to me saying that I should add in all of this stuff. Thankfully, they weren't having a laugh and helped me make it. The second time I managed to make it by myself. We then ate lunch.
In the afternoon, we relaxed. At one point we went into the little play park that was nearby and acted like proper children using all of the equipment not caring that we were too big.


After that we helped make a straw mat. It was quite complicated and we thought we would ruin it but we did it anyway. Once that was over we went back home.
Sunday came along and we went with the Director travelling to four different Fixit centres in Si Saket. The first one we went to was the same as the day before. This time there was a very long speech in which we were called upon to say something. We weren't prepared so we had no idea what to say. I cannot remember what I said but it wasn't very good and I was glad that no one could really understand me.
We went to two more centres and had to stand through the sames speeches again. By the third centre though, I had sussed out what I was going to say.
The last centre was the best though. We arrived expecting to have to listen to the speeches again but we were taken into a room were everyone was having a Thai massage! Perfect. We got taken to a mat and had a full Thai massage. The legs, arms, back, neck and head. It was so nice although every so often it would get painful. It was worth it though. It was hilarious when she did this quick twist of my back and neck as all I could hear was this massive sequence of cracks! The person massaging me and me burst out laughing at it.
I must admit having to stand through a number of speeches and being quite bored all day was made up by that massage. A perfect ending.


No comments:

Post a Comment