Wednesday 16 February 2011

Valentines Day


Yes everyone, its that loved and hated holiday, Valentine's Day! Even though I am in a different country and lacking the boyfriend, this day was actually really fun. One of the things that children do in Thailand on the day is to cover their friends and loved ones in heart stickers, and when I say cover, I mean cover! Unfortunately, being in a college, the students that I know have grown out of that fun tradition which is a shame as I would have loved to be covered in stickers. We gave out stickers in our department though and we all gave stickers to our teacher friends. One of the most funniest parts of the day was in the morning when I had a lesson to teach. We had to go outside as all the classrooms were full and one of my students gave me some flowers. It was so funny as the class is full of boys and they were all laughing as I was given the flowers. For some reason also, I was also given a flower by a random student I passes on the stairs. In the afternoon I had another class but I was doing their final exam with them so I wasn't expecting anything to happen. You would think that in an exam you would keep quiet and not copy. Well, they didn't follow the normal rules of a test. First of all they came early so the only room free was the tiny room at the end. Cramming in 30 students to do and exam into that room was not the best thing as the were all sat right up against to each other. Even though I had no talking and no copying written down in Thai so they could read, I still had to go around taking away books and telling people to stop! They weren't very good at keeping quiet either. When ever I would shush them about 10 seconds later they would all start talking again. What didn't help was this one student who had hardly turned up to lessons always chatting and trying to copy and trying to get me to speak Thai. In the end I said 'I love you' in Thai which got quite a big cheer from all the students and then that one student tried to get my number! They all managed to finish their tests though with some copying and I was even given a sweet from the only girl student there as well. All in all, a pretty good day.

No comments:

Post a Comment